Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sermon synopsis - Toldot 5772

This is something I should have been doing for some time, writing down my brilliant insights that I shared with my congregants, so that all the billions who read this blog can benefit as well.

Or perhaps so that I can have some sketchy record of what I talked about.

So here goes.

I began with some of the usual Jewish mother type lines, as in


~ “Mother's day, Shmother's Day - you just go to the beach and enjoy yourselves.”
~ “You don't have to call me every week - I know how busy you are.”
~ “Your father is a saint - you should only be just like him.”
~ “You are so lucky to have your in-laws.”
~ “Your wife knows best - forget about the advice I gave you.”

How about Rivka in The children agitated within her, and she said, ‘If so, why am I thus?’

point is made about what she could not live with was inconsistency - person being pulled in two directions.

In her case it ended up being two kids pulling two ways.

For most of us, within ourselves, there are forces that pull us in opposite directions, and our challenge is to make sure the good ones predominate.

Apt moment to talk about Bet El.  Looked at concordance, Bet El was place of great keduaha buit also the seat of Yerovam ben Nevat, of the anti-Holy.

The only way when pulled tremndously in two directions is ותלך לדרוש את ה'

Need Torah.   Bet El Yehsiva . Jean & Eugen. That is what makes Bet El such a beacon of light

etc

No comments: